Thursday 15 November 2012

Is this app the one?

When I started this position, I wondered how I could wade through the plethora of apps to find the right one to meet a particular student's need.  I feel pretty confident that I can choose an application that will assist a student complete a particular task in their school day, but it is often helpful to consult a rubric or other evaluative tool to determine if an app is the right choice.  I've found a great blog by Sylvia Rosenthal Tolisano (who might become my technology guru) that has taken a renowned rubric created by Harry Walker, and adapted it into a visually appealing resource for teachers to use to evaluate the flexibility, usefulness, and overall quality of an app.  This could be a good one for administrators and teachers looking to move from the traditional computer lab toward the mobile iPad lab.


http://langwitches.org/blog/?s=app+evaluation


Update:  I have recently found a really great alternative to Sylvia Rosenthal Tolisano's checklist which can be found here. Kathy Schrock has an excellent website that has some great suggestions on how to use technology in the classroom.  You can peruse the wonderful content on her website at http://www.schrockguide.net/index.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment